Hermès Carré Club: A Pop-Up Showcase in Honour of the Silk Scarf
The Hermès Carré Club invites you to a memorable experience of free-spirited exploration and collective joy. From the reception desk where guests check in and receive their membership card, to each point of engagement with the carré, this dynamic venue pays a multi-faceted, participatory tribute to the beloved silk square.
With its limitless potential to inspire, the carré gets interpreted in ways that will surprise even the most ardent aficionado. Amidst a backdrop that alternately conjures up a gentleman’s club, an artist’s workshop, or a private clubhouse, the enlightened ambience will register both familiar and escapist. Hermès Carré Club will generate a steady source of creative output aimed at a transgenerational audience; think artist demonstrations, café gatherings, literary experiences and more—all running day into night.
Conceived by Bali Barret, artistic director of the Hermès women’s universe, the Carré Club is effortlessly adaptable to local members’ interests, attracting all those with an appreciation for the carré. Here in Singapore, Hermès Carré Club houses nine active concepts, nestled amongst lush greenery a stone’s throw away from Orchard Road. Ultimately, this club experience will encourage the carré’s magical harmony of craftsmanship, art, heart and heritage as a meaningful and lasting symbol of expression.
Here’s what you can do:
1. An on-site atelier will provide an authentic setting for carré designers and artisans to create live and in real time. Members can also leave their own mark by naming one of 75,000 colours posted on a giant wall—each one used by Hermès over decades of carré creation.
2. Enter the temple of transformation where beauty comes in all sizes but just one shape. Carré makeovers will be offered so that guests can show off all their right angles with square-cut wigs and manicures in carré colours.
3. Not your average square meal, Carré Café will be helmed by Singaporean food stylist, photographer and barista, CR Tan. Crafted specially for Carré Club, the menu presents a harmonious celebration of squares, splashes of colours and CR’s distinctive take on Southeast Asian flavours. But beyond a spot to sip or snack, the carré-enveloped café combines salon-style culture with cabaret-inspired entertainment such as literary readings, retro arcade games, and other opportunities to savour the moment.
4. Members can listen to revelatory recorded messages via a retro telephone booth. From secrets to anecdotes, truths to fictions, the spoken texts are a reminder that carrés are keepers of memories and tales.
5. Panelled in colourful carrés, a box accommodating four people becomes a place to belt out songs that loosely correspond to silk. Wave your hands like you just don’t carré!
6. For the club’s partygoers who want to dance the night away under the lights of a square disco ball. A chance for guests to prove they’re not so square, after all. In the day, the disco transforms into a lounge playing cool tunes.
7. A small skate ramp covered in carré designs provides a stage for skaters to show off their tricks.
8. Come away with an autumn-winter 2018 scarf, and don’t miss the special edition Hermès Carré Club silk bandana, available at this members-only gift shop.
When: October 19 – 21 (Admission is free)
Opening hours: 11.00am – 8.00pm
Where: 3 Lady Hill Road, Singapore 258672