The New Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 Has Arrived
Nike is introducing the new and improved Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35. The updated sneaker, which has supported the training efforts of countless everyday runners, was designed based on feedback from elite athletes.
Aimed at improving the overall running experience, the women’s version has a softer CushIon foam specially tuned for the female foot while the tongue is notched to make it easier to put on and take off the shoe. The sneaker has also taken inspiration from the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% where Nike’s designers have combined the two airbags for the previous Pegasus into one that mimics the shape of the 4%’s curved carbon-fibre plate.
In its 35 years of life, the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus has undergone major technology shifts and supported training efforts of countless everyday runners and some of the world’s best distance runners. When it came time to update the shoe, designers turned to feedback from elite athletes (including one of the silhouette’s biggest fans, champion British distance runner Mo Farah). It was abundantly clear that some performance elements were not to be tinkered with, and some areas could use updating. Here are the specifics:
What hasn’t changed:
- The mesh cut and sew upper remains the same
- Its midsole is still a mix of Nike Zoom Air and Cushlon foam
- The tongue is notched for easier on/off
- Designers moved the bottom eyelet to open up and provide flex in the foot
- The collar is directed away from the Achilles for added comfort, a design shift that came from Farah’s insights
- The beveled heel helps with touchdown (plus it looks fast and modern)
- The full-length articulated Nike Zoom airbag was inspired by the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4%. Designers combined the two airbags used in the previous Pegasus into one that mimics the shape of the 4%’s curved carbon-fiber plate. The new shape offers responsive cushioning that improves transition and flexibility
- The women’s silhouette features a slightly softer Cushlon foam specifically tuned for the female foot
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 35 will be available in Singapore in Taupe from 1 June 2018 onwards on nike.com and at selected retailers for SGD$199.